Through four generations, A. Hartmann & Son Ltd has provided the highest quality of service to the people of Galway and the surrounding area. We are very much part of the local community, and proud to be Galwegians.
The story of our family business began far away, however, in the Germany ruled by Kaiser Wilhelm II. Alphonsus Hartmann was born in Baden in 1879, and qualified as a watchmaker in Stuttgart in 1894. He emigrated to Ireland in 1895, to work with his brother in Limerick , and eventually moved to Galway where he had the good sense to marry a local girl.
As happened to all Germans resident in Ireland, Alphons, as he was always known, was interred in a camp at the Curragh during the First World War. This experience did not sour him, however, though it was only after the Second World War when his son, Eamonn, qualified as a jeweller that Alphons felt able to establish his own business – hence A. Hartmann & Son. The first premises were in Eyre Square before moving to Mainguard Street in 1950.
The firm quickly gained a reputation for good and friendly service, one which we strive to maintain to this day. Eamonn’s son Garry in his turn qualified as a watchmaker at the Swiss Institute in Dublin , before returning to open his own shop in Galway Shopping Centre, the first of its kind to open in the city.
Eamonn died suddenly in 1978, and two years later, Garry decided to merge the two businesses into one based at 29 William Street . Frequently travelling abroad to import the finest stock, Garry’s aim was to make Hartmann’s the most exclusive and cosmopolitan shop in the west of Ireland.
His untimely death in 1997 left his wife Caitriona to carry on the business. After completing a Commerce degree at NUI Galway Richard travelled abroad and graduated from the Gemmological Institute in America. Caitriona and Richard decided to expand by acquiring the adjoining premises. In 2016 Caitriona retired and Richard took on the task of maintaining Hartmann’s reputation for quality and service in their beautiful store at 27-29 William Street, Galway.